Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving by Lorilee Craker
Money Secrets of the Amish
The author Lorilee Craker is your normal everyday lady who was amazed at how well the Amish were doing during the economic downturn. Instead of letting the idea go, she went to find out how this was possible. The following book is what she found while examining and interviewing the Amish people.
In a nutshell, this book takes everyday wisdom of the Amish and applies it to the modern person.
A Few Takeaways
- The Amish really value hard work.
- They value simple quality time activities that do not cost a lot of money.
- They are very intentional with their lifestyle.
- They fix stuff and keep it as long as they can. The are not going to be at the front of the line to upgrade to the newest version of the iPhone.
- They save up for things they want and do not rush out and put it on the credit card.
- They plan for bad things to happen. Think emergency fund here.
- They are extremely resourceful.
This book moved along very quickly. Each chapter teaches a lesson and is then followed by practical applications for the non-Amish. I enjoyed the light mood the author created in her writing. A book about the Amish and money could seem a bit dull, but she really did a great job making it entertaining as well as educational. After learning about the intentional ways of the Amish, it really makes me question what I can do to live more simplistic. Read this book to find out the money saving secrets of the Amish.